Printfriendly

Monday, October 26, 2015

Cheese and Onion Enchiladas

  I love Tex-Mex food. I can't get enough of it, the spices and the flavors, of the two regions cuisines coming together.... Now, don't get me wrong, BBQ and steak certainly have their places of esteem, as does Cajun cooking, but I have a special place in my heart for enchiladas.

   My normal go to on enchiladas was a cream cheese chicken one that I was just getting too bored of. I wanted something with more cheese, less chicken, and not as time consuming to prepare. So after looking at a few recipes to get the gist of what I was doing, I tweaked my way to this rendition. You can see them made here!



Cheese and Onion Enchiladas

Ingredients

  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cups cheddar, shredded
  • 1 cup of Monterey jack, shredded
  • 1 cup of cheese reserved for topping
  • 8 - 10 flour tortillas, depending on how full you make them
  • one packet of taco seasoning (I used 2 Tbs. of homemade)
  • 2 cans enchilada sauce (I also used homemade here, link to video is here!) 
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Sauté onions in a pan with a little oil, until translucent. Allow the onion to cool before going to next step.
  3. Combine the cheeses and the taco seasoning in a bowl. Add onions and stir.
  4. On slightly warmed tortillas, add about 3 spoonfuls of cheese mixture, and fold over about 1/3 of the way, dragging it back toward you. This will force the cheese into a long roll the width of the tortilla.
  5. Por approx. 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sauce (depending on thickness) in the bottom of a 9"x13" pan, and coat the bottom well. 
  6. Roll the tortilla up, and place short-ways in the pan. Repeat until out to cheese mixture or the tortillas are all used. 
  7. Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce. Top with remaining cheese. 
  8. Place in oven for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.  
  9. Garnish with sour cream or sliced fresh jalapeños and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment